Thursday, July 12, 2007

DD-WRT and Linksys Routers

As I mentioned before, I installed DD-WRT on my two Linksys routers. I just recently bought a WRT54GL version, because I found out that Linksys had halved the flash memory and RAM of the WRT54Gv5 and up routers. That's unfortunate because I have a WRT54Gv5. The L version has the same amounts of memory as the originals did (16MB RAM and 4MB Flash). For more info on the WRT54G series routers go to Wikipedia.



I have had my version 5 WRT54G for about a year and a half. It has been a good router and I have always been impressed with its wireless range. The only problem I ever had with it was that I would have to reset it every so often. I would stay connected to the router, but I would not be able to access the internet randomly. A quick power cycle would always fix this problem. This happened more often when I had large loads of bit torrent traffic coming through it, but happened even if I didn't. It would get annoying, and it never ceased to happen. The least I would have to reset it would be once a week. I have since upgraded the firmware to DD-WRT.

I have been extremely impressed with DD-WRT on my routers. I have a desktop that has a wireless USB adapter. When I installed Ubuntu, I couldn't get my wireless driver working on it without a LAN connection(which in my apt is not possible). I had to continue using Windows, even though I hated it. So, when I saw a deal on a WRT54GL, I jumped at it and got one. The first thing I did when I received it was to test it, and then immediately afterwards I flashed it with DD-WRT. I followed the WRT54GL Tutorial I found. It worked perfectly and was extremely easy.

Since the version 5 WRT54G has such wimpy memory in it, it can only run DD-WRT micro. This micro version of the firmware can only do a few of the things the full version can do, but I still think it is much better than the stock Linksys firmware. Flashing onto this router is harder than the L version, but it is easy if you can find the right tutorial, like I did. I followed the WRT54Gv5 Tutorial. This tutorial was created from the original one, which is here. Although this tutorial was longer than the one I used for my other router, it was still very straightforward and easy.

Once both of my routers had DD-WRT on them, I followed the WDS Tutorial, to set up a WDS(Wireless Distribution System) between my two routers. (Another tutorial rich in pictures is here.) I connected one router to my internet connection and then I connected the other router to my computer 3 rooms away. A WDS allows you to seemlessly switch between two routers while you are using wireless internet. It also allows you to plug a computer into the router which is not connected to the LAN, and then get on the internet wirelessly through the other router. Basically, I plugged my computer into the router on my desk and it automatically connects me to the internet through the other router without me having to deal with my wireless card. It works flawlessly. It has been running for 2 weeks and has performed flawlessly and has not required any router reboots. I also have WPA Personal security while running WDS. For more info on WDS, go to Wikipedia.



I have been amazed by DD-WRT. It has solved my problem with having to reboot my old router often, and it also gave me tons more options with my wireless. There are many more options within DD-WRT that I don't even utilize, such as increasing the power of your router which will give you a bigger range. For more information on DD-WRT, go to DD-WRT's Homepage. The wiki there was very useful to me. I have v23SP2 on my routers.

Summary: I highly recommend flashing your WRT54G router with DD-WRT. Follow instructions in the tutorials carefully and you'll be fine.

1 comment:

Matt and Lauren said...

Thanks for the link back to my blog. I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful!!!