Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Life

Being an engineering student takes up the majority of my time, but with my free time I find interesting things to do.

I recently bought a hamster from a local pet store. I named her Bear, after Bear Grylls of course. She has a small cage and an incredibly loud wheel that she runs on for hours every night. I'm going to add onto her cage soon, and get a much quieter wheel.

I watch two shows on TV that i "DVR." The first one is Entourage, which I think is about the greatest show ever. Watching an episode of that never fails to make me laugh. All of the characters in that show are just awesome. The second is Man vs. Wild. I think Bear Grylls is "The Man" and watching that show just makes me want to go hiking in some remote forest or something. I do think that show can be a little dramatic sometimes, but it makes it more interesting to watch.

After trying Ubuntu(Edgy) about 5 months ago, I fell in love with Ubuntu Linux. It is much more user-friendly, and it just amazes me. I think it is so cool, how so many people donate their time and make an awesome operating system that is free. When I updated to Feisty Fawn, I was even more amazed with Ubuntu. Feisty had tons of upgrades that made Ubuntu a ton better. I can't wait for Gutsy to be released to see how much more Ubuntu evolves. I am going to buy a laptop soon, and I am thinking about getting a Dell that comes preloaded with Ubuntu, just to show my support(even though I would probably get a Dell anyway).

I just recently bought a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet from Buy.com for $140. I read mixed reviews about it, but I thought it was cool how it ran a Linux operating system(called Maemo). The 770 has turned out to be pretty fun. I haven't had any major problems with it, besides memory(which I am in the process of fixing) since it comes with so little on it. The 770 is great to play with, and since it runs Linux, it can do about anything you want it to. I will write a full review about it later.

At school, we have wireless internet in all of the buildings, but they require you to use software called Odyssey, which, of course, is only available for Windows. I emailed our tech staff and asked them why I couldn't get on with a Linux operating system. They pointed me to a U of L wiki written by an engineering student that gives exact directions on how to use the wireless at school is you're running Linux. I was amazed and excited, but I am currently trying to figure out how to do that using my 770.

These were all just random things going through my mind.

No comments: