Friday, July 13, 2007

Global Warming



I have always just accepted the whole notion of global warming ever since I read anything about it. I saw the graphs of the earth's temperature rising and I automatically assumed that all of this was caused by the large amounts of CO2 we put into the atmosphere all the time. I heard people talk about Al Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth, and I assumed that all the evidence he talked about in his movie was true. I never saw his movie, but I meant to and still mean to see it.

I just took what others said to be facts, until my class watched the BBC's movie, The Great Global Warming Swindle. This movie just blew me away. I'm not one to believe everything I see or read, but this movie presented its facts very well, and made great arguments in response to what Al Gore had put in his movie. They talked about the great political pressure for scientists to back the CO2 cause of global warming in order to get funding and publishing. I really liked their argument that the sun causes the changes in the earth's temperature, which makes sense. They showed graphs of sun activity and temperature, which went together very well. Basically, the more activity on the surface of the sun, the more heat that comes off it and then the warmer the earth gets. Their best graph showed how in the past, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere followed the temperature of the earth. So, as the temperature of the earth rose, the amount of CO2 rose as well, except that the CO2 rise lagged the temperature rise. This heavily suggests that the warming we are experiencing now is not due to human production of CO2, especially if you look at actually how little CO2 we produce compared to the earth(the most coming from the ocean and a lot coming from decaying leaves/plants/animals).


I still have to watch An Inconvenient Truth before I make my final decision about global warming, but I was very convinced by The Great Global Warming Swindle. My concern for me causing global warming by driving my truck and using power has gone down a bunch. Although, I still conserve as much gas as possible and use as little electricity as possible because, even though it might not cause global warming, it still pollutes our earth, which is not good. We need to try to keep our world as perfect as possible, and cutting down forests and polluting tons every day is not helping.

I am interested to see how this global warming scare pans out, and I think we will get a lot of great information about our earth in the next decade, which will prove very valuable to us in the future. I highly suggest that everyone watch both An Inconvenient Truth and The Great Global Warming Swindle so that you can formulate your own opinion on global warming. At least for now, you can watch The Great Global Warming Swindle on Google Video.

No comments: