Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fresh Install Windows XP on HP Pavilion DV6500

NOTE: I found a website that goes through every driver you need and gives you great detail in every step of this process:
http://www.nogodforme.com/HPDV6500T.htm

I just bought a new HP Pavilion DV6500 laptop. It came with Windows Vista Home Premium (I would've preferred Windows XP, but it wasn't an option). I tried Vista for a while and I never really came to like it. It was slow and really not all that impressive, so I decided to downgrade to XP Media Center.

SIDENOTE:
Before I downgraded I tried to install Ubuntu on my new laptop. I put the Live CD in and tried to run it, but it just kept running into problems. After trying many workarounds that I read about it still wasn't working, so I tried another method. I created the partitions with GParted and installed Ubuntu with the Alternate CD. It installed but would not boot correctly. After that I was frustrated so I deleted the Ubuntu partitions from within Vista. That was a mistake because that was where GRUB was located, so I couldn't boot Vista anymore. Not a big deal because I was downgrading anyway.

Continuing on: when I inserted the Windows install CD I had procured, it would load up when I booted, but then it kept telling me that it couldn't detect my harddrive. After reading about this, I found out the Windows CD didn't contain the correct driver to let it recognize my SATA hard drive. Here is my fix:

  1. Download nLite from the internet
  2. Download your SATA driver from your computer manufacturer (for HP Pavilion DV2500, DV6500 and DV9500 you can download from this website)
  3. Open nLite and point it to the DVD drive your Windows CD is in
  4. In the nLite options click the add driver option
  5. Unzip the driver you downloaded (if it was compressed)
  6. Point it to the driver you downloaded when asked (for the computers I mentioned earlier, point it to the iaahci.inf file)
  7. Create your new .iso file in nLite
  8. Burn your .iso file to a blank DVD (you can use ImgBurn to burn it)
  9. Boot your computer from the DVD and it should work!

Helpful Websites:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-85807-HP-Pavilion-dv6565ca-HD-SATA-driver.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml